skip to content | Accessibility Information

Financial and Legal Services Insurance


Property and Computers

University buildings and contents are insured against loss or damage.

If property is lost/damaged/stolen, please discuss the possibility of making an insurance claim with the Insurance Officer.

Please note that the loss/damage may fall below our policy excess which is currently £10,000.

Any criminal activity must be reported immediately to Security.

Items Temporarily Removed from MMU

Items are covered when they are temporarily removed from MMU, for example, if items are taken to a conference providing we take reasonable precautions. For example, equipment should be left in a locked room if left unattended at third party sites and should not be stored in a vehicle overnight. Please note, any loss/damage may fall below our policy excess which is currently £10,000.

Borrowing or Lending Equipment

If you intend to borrow or lend University equipment please contact the Legal Department ( before agreeing to any terms and conditions.

Computer Equipment

The University has a separate Computer insurance policy to cover computer equipment. Therefore, computer equipment (laptops, printers etc.) is not covered by our general contents insurance.

Computer equipment off site is covered, but reasonable precautions should be taken. When unattended, computer equipment should be suitably secured and not in plain sight. Equipment must not be left in unattended vehicles overnight.

Information Security

It is important that data stored on electronic devices is appropriately secured. Staff are responsible for protecting Personal Data or Commercially Sensitive Information they handle on behalf of the University. Please see the University's Data Protection Policy:

You should familiarise yourself with the University’s IT policies (; the Data Classification Policy provides instructions on how personal, sensitive and confidential data may be stored and shared safely.

Any data breaches must be reported to the University's Data Protection Team as soon as possible:

Computer Claims

Staff should report any loss or damage to computer equipment to the IT Helpline by either:

  1. Calling the helpline on 0161 247 4646, OR
  2. Sending an email to

IT staff will then liaise with the Legal Department, who will assess the risk if personal/sensitive data has been lost and investigate the possibility of making an insurance claim.

In order to make a claim, the Insurance Officer will require the following information:

  • Original purchase invoice
  • Date and time item was lost/stolen/damaged
  • Address where loss/damage occurred
  • Cause and details of loss/damage, including details of entry/exit if applicable
  • Crime reference number if applicable
  • Item make and model number
  • Item serial number
  • Full specification of item
  • Date of purchase and the price paid
  • Estimated repair/replacement cost
  • Department budget code

Please note, if a claim is successful the settlement will be based on either repair or replacement depending on which is most economical.



Article last updated: Friday, December 16, 2016

Page Feedback and Performance

Did you find this information useful?

Please leave any comments below

Featured Services

How do I?

about this feature

Do you need to do something specific? Most common questions are answered here.

Documents Library

about this feature

All the documents related to FLS categorised and explained.