skip to content | Accessibility Information

Financial and Legal Services Insurance


Driving on MMU Business

MMU owned vehicles and vehicles hired or leased by MMU are covered by MMU's motor insurance when driven in the UK.

What does cover include?

  • Accidental damage
  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Legal liability for death/injury to third parties
  • Legal liability for damage to third party property

Which vehicles are covered?

Vehicles owned, hired or leased by MMU and driven in UK are covered. The following are NOT covered, although in some circumstances we may be able to extend our cover on request:

  • Vehicles owned, hired or leased by MMU driven abroad
  • Vehicles hired abroad
  • Vehicles belonging to staff members

Staff driving their own vehicle on MMU business

Members of staff driving their own vehicle on official MMU business must ensure they have appropriate insurance cover in place and must complete the Private Car Use Declaration form. The completed form should be kept on file by the member of staff's line manager.

In the event of a motor accident, staff using their own vehicle for MMU business should contact their own motor insurer.

Staff Hiring a Vehicle

Members of staff wishing to hire a vehicle to drive on University business must follow the University's Taxi Hire and Hire Car Policy available from 

If advice or assistance is needed, please contact the Travel Team on 0161 247 2989.

Driving Abroad

If an employee is planning to drive a vehicle abroad, they should notify the Insurance Officer to check if insurance cover can be provided.

The University’s motor insurance does not cover vehicles hired abroad. When hiring a vehicle abroad the member of staff must purchase fully comprehensive insurance cover from the hire company. The cover offered by the hire company should be checked carefully as it may be third party only, with the option to upgrade to fully comprehensive cover.

Motor Claims

In the event of a motor related incident, please do not admit liability or discuss blame with the other party until you have sought advice from our insurers. The driver should contact the START Claims Helpline immediately on 0800 587 58 58, quoting the policy number BV/26043246. You should tell them the policyholder is Manchester Metropolitan University.

You will be asked for the following details:

  • Vehicle Registration
  • Driver Name
  • Accident Date/Time
  • Full Details of The Accident Circumstances
  • Third Party Details (including their insurance details and details of number of passengers)
  • Witness Details
  • Police / Ambulance Details
  • Details of any Injuries (If Known)

If it is safe and appropriate to do so take a photo of the accident scene, third parties and damaged vehicles.

Once you have notified the insurers of damage to a University vehicle, and if the damage is covered by the insurance, an approved repairer will contact you to arrange repairs.

A £250 excess applies to most motor claims.

Please keep a record of the claim reference number and notify the Insurance Officer of the claim as soon as possible. Please also report any potential claims to the Insurance Officer, who will keep a record of the information in case a claim is made later.

Article last updated: Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Page Feedback and Performance

Did you find this information useful?

Please leave any comments below

Featured Services

How do I?

about this feature

Do you need to do something specific? Most common questions are answered here.

Documents Library

about this feature

All the documents related to FLS categorised and explained.